The Cook County Department of Public Health has relaxed some of its additional mitigations above the state guidelines to support a more gradual approach to Phase 4 for Cook County residents. The full text of Mitigation Order 2021-4 can be found here.
Bars and restaurants
• Indoor service is limited to the lesser of 50 patrons or 40% of capacity per room.
• Food must be available at all times in order to offer indoor service. Bars, taverns or breweries without a food license can reopen indoors as long as they partner with a food establishment (e.g., making menus available and allowing delivery, allowing patrons to order from third-party delivery services).
• Indoor and outdoor table size limited to no more than six people.
• Table placement must allow for parties to be seated 6 feet apart from one another. Bar seating allowed with 6 feet between parties. All staff must be masked at all times. Patrons are required to be masked unless actively eating. Those seated at the bar must be masked and not allowed to sit unmasked unless eating or actively drinking. If a patron is unmasked a member of the restaurant staff must ask the customer to mask and if not complied with after requested to leave. Failure to require patrons to be masked will be seen as a violation of the establishment to operate safely.
• No congregating of patrons allowed prior to being seated. Customers waiting for a table must wait socially-spaced outdoors.
• Outdoor service includes:
o Rooms with retractable roofs;
o Multi-party structures, such as tents, with at least 50% of walls open
o Single-party structures, such as igloos, with proper ventilation; and/or
o Tables indoors within eight feet of an open wall or window that is at least 50%
open to the outdoor air.
Organized Group Recreational Activities (i.e., sports, indoor sports & activities facilities) Note: Not applicable to professional sports.
• Limit group sporting and recreational activities including youth and adult recreational sports to the lesser of 40% capacity, or a maximum of 50 individuals indoors. This includes park districts and travel leagues.
• Group size for outdoor activities is limited to a maximum of 50 people per group, with total capacity limited to 100 people while maintaining appropriate social distancing. o Individual training may continue (with facility reservation)
• Locker rooms and showers can remain open, if strict and frequent cleaning measures are in place.
• Illinois All Sports Policy is required to be followed for sports play level and allowances.
• All sports participants playing indoors must be masked or play risk level will be elevated per Illinois All Sports Policy.
Health and Fitness Centers
• Indoor facilities are limited to a maximum of 40% capacity.
• Patrons and staff are required to be masked at all times unless actively eating or drinking.
• Gatherings of employees and customers in common areas (e.g., check-in area) is limited to a maximum of 50 individuals, while ensuring proper social distancing.
• Indoor fitness classes limited to 15 individuals.
• Outdoor fitness classes are limited to a maximum of 50 individuals, while ensuring proper social distancing.
• Locker rooms and showers can remain open if strict and frequent cleaning measures are in place.
• Ancillary accommodations, including saunas and steam rooms, where social distancing and frequent cleaning cannot take place, must remain closed.
• Indoor space limited to the lesser of 40% capacity or 50 individuals, while practicing social distancing.
• If a service requires the removal of face coverings (e.g., facials, beard trimmings) employees must wear both a mask and eye protection (e.g. face shield, protective glasses)
• General merchandise stores, “big box” stores that offer groceries and pharmacy, and convenience stores limited to a maximum of 40% capacity.
• Grocery stores and pharmacies limited to a maximum of 50% capacity.
• Gatherings of employees and customers at choke points is limited to no more than 50 individuals, while ensuring proper social distancing.
• Smoking is permitted in hookah stores, cigar lounges, and other retail tobacco shops. Limited to the lesser of 40% capacity, or 50 individuals per room, while ensuring proper social distancing
Hotel & Accommodations
• Gatherings in common spaces (e.g. lobby area) is limited to the lesser of 40% capacity, or 50 individuals, while ensuring proper social distancing.
• Fitness centers limited to a maximum of 40% capacity. Hotel guests are required to be masked at all times in the fitness center.
• Event and meeting spaces limited to 40% capacity, to a maximum of 50 individuals.